Colleagues and Friends –
I’m so excited to be writing my first “Section Director’s Message” as your new Director for 2019-2020. I have big shoes to fill with Rachel Hurst now transitioned into her new role as Outgoing Section Director. Rachel did a fantastic job leading our region these last two years and continues to give her time to help advance planning in San Diego and Imperial Counties.
This January I got to lead our annual Board retreat, where we began to set the agenda for the year. We have a fantastic year planned. Our goals for the year are to:
- Expand, reach, and serve our diverse membership
- Maintain connections and retain our members through the arc of their career
- Access and outreach to the Section’s large geographic area
- Collaborate with partners of shared interests
- Revisit our organizational structure for any needed improvements (budget, bylaws, technology)
- Be responsive to our membership survey for topics on training events
- Prioritize professional development opportunities (CM credits)
Thanks to the hard work of the fundraising committee for the California APA Conference we hosted here in San Diego last fall, the San Diego section got a sizeable subvention, which will allow us to further enhance our professional development and networking activities. We will be looking at bringing in some university-level coursework and guest lecturers for our CM training events at very reasonable prices for members.
Also, we are looking to add an additional member to our Board. We have a vacancy for one of our lunchtime programs chairs. If you are interested in helping us plan our short program CM events, please send me an email.
I hope many of you can make it out to our next Planners Night Out on March 8 at Rock Bottom Brewery in La Jolla. It’s a free event for members and a great way to connect with your colleagues.