With more than 1.3 million people, the City of San Diego is the eighth largest city in the United States and the second largest in California. The City of San Diego’s strong economy, diverse population, great educational institutions, unsurpassed quality of life, and world-renowned location makes it the ideal place to work, live, and play. With its great weather, miles of sandy beaches, and major attractions, San Diego has something to offer for everyone.
The City’s Mission, as found in our Strategic Plan, is “To Effectively Serve and Support Our Communities.” Our core values are Integrity, Service, People, and Excellence. The City’s Vision is “A World-Class City for All.”
As one of the region’s largest employers, the City of San Diego has a combined Fiscal Year 2016 operating budget of approximately $3.2 billion and employs approximately 10,000 highly dedicated employees. Additional information about the City of San Diego can be obtained on the City’s website: www.sandiego.gov.
The Performance & Analytics Department reports to the Office of the Mayor. It is responsible for supporting the improvement of City operations through long-term initiatives, including strategic planning, performance management, the San Diego Works efficiency and incentives program, Managed Competition, Open Data, and the development and coordination of a 311 customer service project. As such, the Performance & Analytics Department works with other departments to implement resident-focused and data-driven solutions that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the City’s service delivery practices and management structures.
The City is initiating a citywide 311 platform for a user-focused customer service delivery model to be led by the new Program Coordinator position, which will go by the working title of 311 Project Coordinator. The 311 Project Coordinator will be responsible for researching, designing, and coordinating the implementation of a project plan and making recommendations to the Mayor for implementing a citywide solution.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Roles, responsibilities, and expectations for the 311 Project Coordinator include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify activities, tasks, timing, resources, responsibilities, budget, best practices, change management strategies, and risk mitigation requirements for the successful deployment of a citywide 311 solution that includes an application, a call center, or both;
- Collaborate with other public sector organizations to define best practices and lessons learned for similar projects;
- Create and lead the execution of an implementation plan to launch a 311 solution;
- Build the integration plan on how the 311 project will integrate with the City’s Open Data Program;
- Engage City of San Diego residents to gauge input and interest, as well as concerns with the 311 deployment;
- Serve as an expert resource for City departments in all functional and support areas associated with the deployment of a 311 solution;
- Work with the Department of Information Technology, other departments, and users to define necessary software requirements, write detailed functional specifications, and develop and maintain necessary application documentation, such as project plans, solution designs, punch lists, configuration guides, etc.;
- Maintain an internal project tracking system;
- Submit written reports to the Mayor and Council on the status of the implementation of the 311 solution; and
- Assist with other key initiatives led by the Performance & Analytics Department.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
- A Master’s degree in a technology, government, or business-related field is preferred;
- At least five years of relevant work experience;
- Strong quantitative analytical abilities, including a thorough understanding of common data analysis tools and programs;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Understanding of 311 principles and techniques, and applicable regulations, and ordinances;
- Understanding of Open Data principles and ability to demonstrate knowledge of how 311 is an important Open Data component;
- Experience in public engagement in developing customer-focused solutions;
- Experience in a specialized role that includes implementation, support, and maintenance of large-scale web applications;
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to generate technical, but user-friendly procedural documents;
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information in a simple, clear, and straightforward manner, including the use of graphs and tables as needed;
- Ability to communicate effectively to different audiences, including elected officials, various levels of City management, and members of the public;
- Ability to comprehend technical details and understand how they relate to and impact the “big picture”;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with tight time constraints;
- Interest in municipal activities and services and how they impact the community;
- Highly ethical and objective, with the ability to navigate in a political environment without being political;
- Energetic and motivated, with the ability and desire to take initiative;
- A demonstrated commitment to public service, fiscal responsibility, and innovation in government.
Management Compensation and Benefits:
The successful candidate will be eligible for participation in the City’s Flexible Benefits Plan that offers several optional benefit plans or a taxable cash option; $50,000 in City-paid life insurance; paid annual leave accruing at 22 days per year for the 1st through the 15th year of service. For further information, please contact the Risk Management Department at (619) 236-6600. Retirement benefits differ for this unclassified position depending on the candidate’s eligible status (new hire, rehire, etc.). For further information, visit SDCERS’ website at www.sdcers.org. Some benefits currently offered to employees may be modified in the future.
Employment offers are conditional pending the results of all screening processes that are applicable to this job, which may include but are not limited to the following: Proof of citizenship or legal right to work in the United States; completion of a pre-employment medical review/exam (which may include drug alcohol testing); reference checks; and a fingerprint check. The fingerprints will be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and/or the California Department of Justice for a conviction record report. Certain positions may require additional screening processes which may include a polygraph examination and/or background investigation. All of these processes must be successfully completed before employment begins. A positive test for alcohol, illegal drugs or inadequately explained prescription drugs, misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of pertinent facts in any step of the screening/selection process may be cause for disqualification and/or termination of employment. Nothing in this job posting constitutes an expressed or implied contract for employment with the City of San Diego.
A City medical examination including drug screening and documentation of medical history may be conducted following a conditional offer of employment or promotion. The individual must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. The City of San Diego is committed to a drug and alcohol free work place.
To be considered for this position, please submit your: 1) current resume; 2) a letter of interest highlighting your relevant work experience and qualifications for this position; and 3) a list of three professional references via email to HumanResources@sandiego.gov.
Following the closing date, resumes will be screened according to the qualifications outlined above, and the most qualified candidates will be invited to an interview.
If you have any questions, please contact the City’s Human Resources Department at
The City of San Diego has an active Equal Opportunity/ADA Program for employment and vigorously supports diversity in the workplace.