Job Title: Administrative Inter
Job Location: El Cajon
Applicants must be enrolled as a fulltime student in an active, undergraduate college degree program related to Community Development. If school program is on a summer break, applicant must provide proof of enrollment when the semester begins.
The City of El Cajon is seeking a Student Intern to provide assistance on a variety of projects in their Community Development Department.
Intern assignments are at-will, part-time/seasonal/temporary positions for active students. As such, work hours are limited to no more than 999 hours in a Fiscal Year.
There are two options for the internship position:
- Unpaid Internship – May satisfy internship program requirements (such as college credits)
- Paid Internships – Provides students with work experience in their field of study (will not receive college credit)
El Cajon is the fifth largest city in San Diego County, with a diverse, growing and vibrant community. The City provides an excellent example of exceptional municipal service with award-winning police and fire departments.
This vibrancy and excitement is evident in its dynamic business environment. El Cajon is home to both global and nationally known corporations such as Taylor Guitars, one of the premier guitar manufacturing companies in the world. The City also contains a longtime retail mall, Parkway Plaza, and 14 automotive dealerships (now known as “The Valley of Cars”), including Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Lexus. The City has a colorful downtown, with shops and restaurants that the entire family can enjoy. El Cajon is home to many special events, including the annual America on Main Street celebration and the annual Mother Goose Parade. The City staff is professional, well-trained and focused on providing exceptional customer service to residents, visitors and businesses, setting the standard for other local governments.Typical Duties
- Provide counter duty assistance 2 shifts per week and provide back up to other planners
- Respond to phone, email, and in person inquiries
- Review and follow up on all business licenses
- Review building permits, process TUPs, Special Operation Licenses, Bingo Licenses, and Block Party permits: 1-2 new reviews per week and re-checks
- GIS updates or special projects
- Research projects as needed (examples: home occupation, zoning code updates, and state regulations research)
- Special projects as needed (update forms, create handouts, process improvements)
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. Applicants must be enrolled as a fulltime student in an active, undergraduate college degree program related to Community Development. If school program is on a summer break, applicant must provide proof of enrollment when the semester begins.
Experience: None. Exposure to an office setting is desirable.
Special Requirements: Possession of or ability to obtain, prior to employment, a valid Class C California driver’s license with a safe driving record.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to closely follow directions
• Ability to perform duties with a high level of accuracy
• Strong personal computing skills
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team environment
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Access, Excel, and Word)
• Good organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Apply by date: 08/05/2019