Thank you to the attendees, sponsors, and winners who made the 2014 Annual SDAPA Awards Program at the new Central Library a great success. While the fire risk kept some people close to home or in evacuation mode, we were glad to have more than 150 people in attendance from public officials and planning staff to consultant firms and local organizations.
The night started with a walking Tour led by the esteemed architect of the Central Library, Rob Quigley, and included networking on the roof, keynote speaker Director Deborah Barrow, a presentation by Master of Ceremony Jim Hare, and recognition of this year’s best planning achievements. In addition, the proceeds from the walking tours ($360) are being donated to the San Diego Library Foundation, for a specialized air vent for the rare book room.
Our winners included:
- City of San Diego, San Diego River Park Master Plan – Comprehensive Plan: Large Jurisdiction
- City of El Cajon 2013-2021 Housing Element – Comprehensive Plan: Small Jurisdiction
- The Green Build at San Diego International Airport, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority – Economic Planning and Development Award
- San Diego Regional PEV Readiness Plan, SANDAG – Transportation Planning Award of Merit
- Community Design Review Streamline Procedure and Community Design Guideline Checklists, County of San Diego Planning & Development Services – Best Practices Award of Merit
- Pop-Up Outreach for the Southeastern & Encanto Community Plan Updates, City of San Diego, M.W. Steele Group – Public Outreach Award
- Third Avenue Streetscape Implementation Project Phase 1, City of Chula Vista – Urban Design Award
- Honorable Greg Cox, San Diego County Supervisor – Planning Advocate Award
- City of La Mesa, Community Development Department – Planning Agency Award
- Voice of San Diego, Andrew Keatts and the Land Use Section – Communication Initiative Award
Nearly $3000 was raised for scholarships from direct donations and proceeds from the silent auction and raffle which showcased generous donations from local businesses. Thanks to the Awards Chair Theresa Millette, an Awards Committee led by Betsy McCullough, our esteemed jury, and the Board of Directors of the San Diego Section for all the work and preparation!
Thank You Sponsors!