San Diego – CA
PlaceWorks is seeking a full-time associate level land use planner with 4+ years of experience in long-range and current-planning. Experience in environmental review and public outreach is a plus. We are looking for someone with knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning and design; the ability to research and interpret federal, state and local planning and zoning laws; and the ability to prepare reports and plans, map exhibits, and similar documents; and experience with assisting with outreach to the public. Candidate would be responsible for working in a collaborative environment supporting project managers and other staff members with all aspects of land use planning. The most important skills required for the associate planner position are the ability to do in-depth research on planning issues associated with each project area, synthesize information, and write clearly and concisely and able to prepare sections/all of product deliverables with moderate independence .
High proficiency in most computer applications used at PlaceWorks, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and InDesign graphics programs is a plus.
Position will be hired at an associate level; salary based on qualifications. Selected person will be an employee of PlaceWorks, located in its San Diego office.
- Researching topics including past and present land uses; applicable local, regional, and state policies and regulations; infrastructure and services; and funding opportunities.
- Writing planning-related documents, such as existing conditions reports, sections of General/Community/Specific Plans and proposals.
- Assistant project management including client and team management and coordination, budget and schedule preparation and adherence.
- Creating presentations for interviews and community meetings.
- Editing, laying out, and producing work products for client and public review.
- Assisting at community meetings, including set up, sign in, note-taking and facilitation of small group discussions.
- Visiting sites to photograph, document and report on existing conditions.
- Synthesizing and presenting information from existing documents and technical subconsultant reports.
- Coordinating with clients and subconsultants.
- Work creatively and independently as a member of a multi-office team.
- 4+ years’ experience preparing and participating in planning projects
- Strong knowledge of planning principles and laws
- Excellent written, analytic, and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills in MS Office suite.
- Energetic, creative and team-oriented
- Commitment to PlaceWorks’ purpose and mission
- Ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently
- AICP Certificaiton
- Experience in San Diego County
- Active participation in ULI and/or APA