Job Title: Associate Planner
Job Location: Menifee
Employer Website: https://www.calopps.org/regional-government-services/job-18068411
The City of Menifee is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Associate Planner to administer planning activities; provide technical direction to lower-level staff; provide information and assistance to property owners, developers, contractors, and the general public; coordinates assigned activities with other City departments, officials, outside agencies, and the public; fosters cooperative working relationships among City departments and with intergovernmental and regulatory agencies and various public and private groups; provides professional assistance to the Senior Planner, City Council, Planning Commission, and others in areas of expertise; oversees, reviews, and performs a variety of studies; and performs related work as required.
Ideal Candidate will:
- Interpret and apply Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations to ensure that public and private projects are in compliance, including the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Subdivision Map Act, Public Resource Code, General Plan, and Design Specifications.
- Interact and communicate with a variety of individuals and groups at the public service counter, in the field, over the telephone, at public hearings, and in discussion forums, including other City departments and public agencies, elected and appointed City officials, developers, consultants, architects, engineers, attorneys, appraisers, real estate agents, property owners, and the general public for the purpose of obtaining or providing information, coordinating activities, processing projects, negotiating plan changes, and formulating recommendations.
- Conduct plan check of building permit-level plan submittals associated with complex projects to verify compliance with project approvals and zoning requirements; conducts over-the-counter plan check of less complex development proposals and land uses; approves minor development plans.
- Review building permit applications, maps, and grading plans for compliance with zoning and land use regulations, and any applicable Conditions of Approval.
- Coordinate project reviews by other City departments and outside agencies and consultants.
- Evaluate the conclusions of initial studies, mitigated negative declarations, environmental impact reports, and uses the evaluation to formulate a recommendation on projects; monitors project compliance with environmental document mitigation measures and conditions of approval.
- Participate in General Plan review, amendments, and updates; participates in and makes recommendations regarding policy development; observes, identifies, and responds to policy and procedure-related questions and concerns; communicates any observed deficiencies to management; participates in creating new policies and procedures as necessary.
- Provide staff support to a variety of boards and commissions; attends and participates in professional groups and committees; provides technical and professional support to departmental management staff and other City departments and the public; advises other departments regarding planning and/or environmental review requirements, budgets, and timelines to facilitate adequate project planning.
- Represent the department to other City departments, elected officials, regional/local boards, and outside agencies; explains and interprets departmental programs, policies, and activities.
- Manage project deposit based on accounts; prepares supplemental fee requests, refunds; reviews deposit tracking log for accuracy.
- Prepare/write and present formal reports, approval letters, conditions of approval and CEQA documents; including presentations for the appropriate hearing body, applicants, etc.
- Develop and maintain automated tracking systems, electronic files, hardcopy files, and records.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience – The ideal candidate will have three (3) years of responsible professional experience in planning, zoning, and related community development activities, preferably with a government agency.
Licenses and Certificates – Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
Education – Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in urban planning, architecture, public administration, or a related field.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary will be commensurate with the experience, qualifications and skills of the successful candidate and within the range of $67,845 – $87,061 annually.
The City of Menifee also offers a competitive benefits package, including California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) pension, CalPERS medical plans, dental, vision, life insurance, paid leave, flexible spending account, and continuing education. Click here for more specific benefits information.
About the City of Menifee:
Situated in the heart of southern Riverside County along Interstate 215, Menifee is a vibrant, new city of more than 92,000 residents who enjoy a pleasant year-round climate, abundant recreational offerings, reasonably priced housing and convenient proximity to some of Southern California’s premiere attractions and employment centers.
Within its 50 square miles, Menifee’s business, retail and entertainment outlets are starting to shape the community’s character and this growing economic base is also contributing favorably to the city’s strong financial position.
Menifee’s growing family-oriented population values the city’s ongoing commitment to public safety, community events and smart growth for the future. All of these elements are working together to support the city’s strategic vision to make Menifee one of the state’s most promising new cities.
To apply, follow this link – https://www.calopps.org/regional-government-services/job-18068411
The deadline to apply is April 15, 2018 before 11:30 PM PST.
Applicant must answer supplemental questions with application.
Candidates who are most qualified will be invited to an Oral Interview Examination tentatively scheduled for April 25.
Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to Kay Randolph-Pollard firstname.lastname@example.org. Neither Regional Government Services nor the City of Menifee are responsible for failure of internet forms or email in submitting your application. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing email@example.com.
Link or email to apply: https://www.calopps.org/regional-government-services/job-18068411
Apply by date: 04/15/2018