San Diego – California
As part of an integrated and collaborative team of planning experts, the Associate Planner position provides professional physical planning services for the UC San Diego campus. Responsibilities include preparation of site studies and analyses, including: collection of planning data and defining planning considerations, report writing, development of graphics, interpreting project proposals to assure conformance with campus plans and policies; and representing planning interests by participating on various standing campus committees, advisory committees and work groups; participation includes making verbal presentations. The Associate Planner will also work directly with consultants, oversee the preparation of scopes of work, manage and participate in consultants screening and selection, as well as directing the work of planning consultants. The Associate Planner researches, evaluates and writes reports pertaining to campus Physical Planning policies and procedures.
- Graduation from college with major work in city planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Traffic Engineering, or other planning-related fields and four years of professional experience in City planning (or urban renewal) and large-scale site planning; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional experience in site planning and urban design.
- Knowledge of site planning standards and criteria for buildings, pedestrian and vehicular circulation, surface and structured parking, service yards and other standards pertinent to site design.
- Knowledge of comprehensive planning processes and methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and research planning issues.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in locating sources of information.
- Demonstrated ability to research, organize and write planning reports and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, flexibility and the ability to communicate effectively with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in speaking before groups of any size and the ability to explain planning concepts and solutions in a clear and concise manner.
- Knowledge of computer programs, including word processing, electronic spreadsheets and electronic presentations.
- Graphic skills in a variety of media including free hand sketching (optional), drafting, PowerPoint presentation boards and computer generated graphics and simulations are required.
- Ability to manage budgets for consulting services and special projects within the University’s contracting and budgeting framework.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently; including the ability to set priorities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must possess and maintain a current valid CA Driver’s License. DMV check and clearance required prior to hire.
- DOJ and FBI background check and clearance required prior to hire.
- UC San Diego is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or religion or other legally protected status.