Job Title: Associate Planner A60
Job Location: City of La Habra
Employer Website: City of La Habra
Associate Planner A60
$4,791/Mo. – $6,742/Mo. ($27.643/hr. – $38.897/hr.)
Do you have an interest in working in a challenging and rewarding career
and to be part of a team that value your contributions?
The City of La Habra’s Community and Economic Development Department is looking for someone who is passionate about the planning profession, driven to positively contribute to improving the community and exhibits a strong sense of civic duty.
ABOUT THE CITY:
City of La Habra is located at Orange County’s northernmost corner; La Habra today is 7.3 square miles, with a population of nearly 62,000. The City has a diverse portfolio of land uses related to residential (subdivisions, in-fill, multi-family), commercial (tenant improvements, remodels, conditional use permits) and industrial projects. Although the City has limited access to freeways we leveraged our location as a “captive market” and is home to businesses like Costco, Sam’s Club, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, and Walmart. The City is also known for the Tamale Festival, Corn Festival, Citrus Fair, and the gem of La Habra, the Children’s Museum and Depot Theatre.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
Community Development is responsible for building a vibrant community. The Department is comprised of the Building, Code Enforcement, Economic Development and Planning Divisions. Our staff is small but we have big hearts. The Department is dynamically structured to be nimble and flexible where staff is cross trained amongst each respective Division and empowered and encouraged to problem solve and leave customers with positive and memorable experiences.
The Department administers the General Plan, Zoning Code, California Environmental Quality Act, the International Property Maintenance Code, California Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical Codes, Green Building Code, and accessibility requirements. Additionally, the Department is also responsible for the management, administration and oversight of all activities that are funded through the Community Development Block Grant, Home Investment Partnership Act, Housing set-aside funding, and economic development programs and strategies. The Department is also responsible for the coordinating and providing technical assistance on issues of current and future land development to the City Council, Planning Commission, Design Review Committee, Economic Development Ad-Hoc Committee, Beautification Committee, various boards and to the public. It is the department’s mission to provide this assistance in a highly professional and customer service oriented manner.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Planning Manager, the Associate Planner performs advanced journey level professional planning work, develops long range land use plans, evaluates current land use requests, conducts a variety of planning studies, and performs other related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES (Duties may include, but are not limited to the following):
- Performs various administrative functions for the department, including accepting planning applications and development permits for processing.
- Prepares correspondence with the public as it relates to the functions performed by the Community Development Department.
- Checks and approves commercial, industrial, and residential development plans when in full compliance with Zoning Code requirements.
- Assists in coordination efforts with Departments in the review and processing of development plans.
- Assists in the review of Special Event permits.
- Reviews and processes CEQA documents.
- Researches, analyzes, and interprets social, economic, population, housing, and land use data and trends.
- Gathers and maintains demographic data and other related statistics.
- Conducts field studies and surveys to collect original research data for City planning purposes.
- Creates maps of various geographical areas & boundaries within the City.
- Interprets local, state and federal Planning and Housing policies laws and ordinances.
- Evaluates design issues.
- Evaluates and proposes final revisions to major planning, transportation and zoning policies, practices and procedures.
- Interprets and applies City policies and practices.
- Provides information and assistance to the public at the counter or over the phone.
- Prepares reports and makes recommendations.
- Prepares and presents reports to various bodies, including but not limited to the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission, and City Council.
- Attends various meetings and makes presentations to community groups, and outside agencies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- City Government and the functions of its various departments.
- Principles, practices, techniques, and purposes of City planning.
- Principles applicable to the collection, compilation, analysis, and presentation of data pertaining to City and master planning and urban renewal.
- Provisions of local, state, and federal laws relating to City, regional, and master planning.
- Accepted practices applicable to local and state laws relating to the Permit Streamlining Act, Subdivision Map Act, California Environmental Quality Act, zoning, land subdivision and control, and land use.
- Principles and techniques involved in the maintenance of a comprehensive General Plan.
- Zoning Codes and their implementation.
- Organize, prepare, and present complete and accurate reports.
- Operate a computer.
- Use various software systems including Microsoft Office and Outlook software programs.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with personnel of other agencies, public officials, other employees, and the public.
- Speak clearly, assertively, and effectively before professional and civic groups, public gatherings, and in presenting reports and recommendations to governmental agencies.
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with others.
- Provide excellent customer service to members of the community and all those contacted while performing job functions.
- Discern between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience, which demonstrates attainment of the required knowledge and ability to perform the required work, typically:
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in, planning, architecture, geography, public administration or related field. Equivalent years work experience may be considered as qualifying. An advanced degree from an accredited institution in Urban Planning or a related field is desirable.
Experience: Professional experience in urban and regional planning, including work as a project manager or work in a lead capacity is recommended and 4 years of professional experience is desirable. GIS experience and knowledge of ARCVIEW and ARCINFO is desirable.
Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C driver’s license.
Public Employee Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all La Habra city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.
INTERESTED IN APPLYING?
To be considered for this amazing opportunity, please submit a City application online through the Human Resources Department webpage at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lahabraca. Completed applications will be accepted until 5:30 p.m., Friday, February 1, 2019. Applications will be screened and those applicants deemed best qualified will be invited for an oral interview. The final candidate must successfully complete a medical exam, drug screening, employment history verification, DMV check and will also be fingerprinted.
If any accommodation is needed during the interview, please notify the Human Resources Department at least five days in advance of your scheduled appointment so that we may be able to provide a reasonable accommodation.
This bulletin is not a contract, neither expressed nor implied.
Any provision herein may be modified or revoked.
Link or email to apply: www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lahabraca.
Apply by date: 02/01/2019