San Diego – California
SALARY: $27.99 – $33.86 Hourly
$2,239.20 – $2,708.80 Biweekly
$58.219.20 – $70.428.80 Annually
OPENING DATE: 11/21/14
CLOSING DATE: 12/17/14 05:00 PM
City Attorney Investigator positions conduct a wide variety of duties related to lawsuits in which the City is a party or in the prosecution of civil, criminal, or administrative cases. Investigators locate and interview witnesses; gather documents, statements and other factual material; photograph and/or record evidence; participate in the discovery process; serve subpoenas and summonses; prepare declarations, affidavits and other materials required for court motions, or search and arrest warrants; obtain inspection warrants; analyze data and prepare reports and recommendations; attend meetings, trials, and hearings to assist attorneys and testify when necessary; conduct special investigations; attend property inspections; work closely with City Staff and police officers; and perform other duties as assigned.
• The list established for these positions may be used to fill vacancies in the Civil Litigation, City Advisory, Community Justice and Criminal Divisions of the City Attorney’s Office.
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education (i.e., minimum completed units = 120 semester/180 quarter).
• Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education lacked on a year-for-year basis. One year of full-time experience = 30 semester/45 quarter college-level units.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of full-time civil, criminal, or law enforcement investigative experience performing the full range of duties involved in the investigation of civil or criminal cases such as public liability claims, traffic accidents, consumer fraud, domestic violence, code enforcement, narcotics or gang activity.
• Private Investigator experience limited to surveillance only is NOT qualifying.
• Law Clerk, Legal Assistant and Paralegal experience is NOT qualifying, unless it included performing investigations.
• Police Patrol, Insurance Appraiser and Process Server experience is NOT qualifying.
• Experience limited to legal research and trial case preparation only is NOT qualifying.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver License is required at the time of hire.
• Experience in obtaining inspection warrants and investigating state and municipal code violations such as zoning, building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, substandard housing, fire code, or environmental violations.
• Experience in investigating or abating public nuisance activity such as properties with serious health and safety violations or experience with drug abatement or red light abatement cases.
• Experience in investigating public tort liability claims and litigation (e.g., personal injury, dangerous condition of public property, wrongful death).
• Experience in conducting personnel investigations (e.g., wrongful termination, discrimination, DFEH, Civil Service).
• Experience in investigating law enforcement liability claims and litigation (e.g., 4th Amendment violations, 42 USC Section 1983, internal affairs investigations, citizen complaint investigations).
• Experience in writing comprehensive, detailed, investigation reports.
• Experience and/or education in land use, planning, environmental regulation and/or code enforcement.
• Experience in investigating public liability claims related to eminent domain, real property, and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
• Experience with real estate, title claims, permit processing and environmental review for development projects and land use permits.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (MUST SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION):
• Proof of degree/transcripts, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
Required documents should be attached electronically to your application. If you are unable to attach at the time of application submittal, you must submit them as soon as possible via fax: (619) 533-3337; or to the Employment Information Center: City of San Diego Personnel Department, 1200 Third Avenue – Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101. Include your name and the title of the position for which you are applying.