San Diego – CA
Application deadline: January 23, 2017
Apply at: https://www.sandiego.gov/empopp/current
Senior Planner positions develop and manage environmental, general and community plans; review and analyze land use and land development projects; review and analyze historic preservation and transportation projects; review and analyze technical drawings, specifications and reports; research, review, and prepare ordinances and policies; review technical analyses prepared for environmental documents; prepare environmental documents; administer resource management programs; make presentations on planning issues and projects at public hearings and meetings with community groups or citizens; review projects to ensure compliance with city, state and federal regulations; interpret regulations and requirements to the public; prepare planning reports; review development projects for urban design-related issues and develop policies and ordinances related to urban design; staff design review boards; supervise other professional planners; and perform other duties as assigned.
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education (i.e., minimum completed units = 120 semester/180 quarter).
• Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education lacked on a year-for-year basis. One year of full-time experience = 30 semester/45 quarter college-level units.
EXPERIENCE: Three years of full-time professional-level planning experience. Qualifying professional experience must be in at least ONE of the following areas:
1. Prehistoric or historic archeology.
2. Historic preservation.
3. Environmental review or analysis.
4. Resource management.
5. Landscape planning or landscape architecture.
6. Environmental, general and community planning.
7. Transportation planning.
8. Design, redevelopment and capital improvement projects.
9. Zoning administration and enforcement.
10. Architecture and urban design.
11. Site planning.
12. Discretionary permit review and processing.
• A Master’s Degree in Archeology, History, Urban Planning, Urban Studies or Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Economics, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Public Administration, Life Science (e.g., Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Botany), Environmental Studies, Transportation Planning or a closely related field may be substituted for a MAXIMUM of one year of the required experience.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver License may be required at the time of hire.
• Certified Planner Certification issued from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
• College-level course work in Archeology, History, Urban Planning, Urban Studies or Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Economics, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Public Administration, Life Science (e.g., Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Botany), Environmental Studies, Transportation Planning or a closely related field.
• Conservation biology, mitigation, and/or Multiple Species Conservation Program (MSCP) experience.
• Watershed planning experience.