Job Title: Community Development Technician
Job Location: Coronado
Employer Website: https://www.coronado.ca.us/
Community Development staff strive to be a partner in providing public information to ensure that all contractors and citizens of Coronado are provided with the information they need to prepare for their construction projects in order to best serve the Community. The department works to make sure its mission is achieved through the following programs and activities:
- General Plan, Local Coastal Program, and Zoning Code maintenance;
- Land use policy evaluation and development;
- Staff the City’s Planning, Design Review, and Historic Resource Commissions;
- Processing of applications for special use permits, variances, coastal permits and parking plans;
- Processing of applications for subdivision maps, lot line adjustment, and lot consolidations;
- Processing of applications for Design Review for commercial and residential development and signs;
- Administer the City’s Historic Preservation program, including processing Nominations for Historic Designation, Historic Resource Alteration Permits, Mills Act Agreements, and Determinations of Historic Significance (Notice of Intent to Demolish) Reviews;
- Environmental review of projects in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA);
- Building construction plan check, permit issuance, and inspections;
- Zoning and Building Code enforcement;
- Public information source including archives for planning and building public records;
- Inter-agency coordination and representation on regional committees; and
- Special studies and review of public projects
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic customer service-minded individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills. Knowledge of permit application requirements and procedural steps relative to the construction, alteration, and maintenance of private facilities is highly desirable. The ideal candidate will possess high attention to detail in conjunction with the ability to multi-task in the face of competing job duties while providing an exceptional level of customer service. This person should have strong organization skills, be self-motivated, take initiative and work well as part of a team-oriented department.
Higher education (Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree) with major coursework in planning, urban studies, engineering, construction technology, or a related field may be substituted for some required experience is preferred.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
At least three years of responsible administrative support and/or land development experience.
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in planning, urban studies, engineering, construction technology, or a related field.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s License with a safe driving record. Certification as a Permit Technician from the International Code Council (ICC) is required within one year of employment.
For more information, please contact the City of Coronado’s Human Resources Division:
1825 Strand Way, Coronado, CA 92118 | (619) 522-7300 | HR@Coronado.Ca.Us
Apply by date: 11/08/2021