Carlsbad – California
Under general direction, to plan, organize, direct and coordinate the activities of a comprehensive economic development program in accordance with City policy, including resource identification, planning, marketing, public relations/public education activities, and land use strategies and assistance.
This is a single incumbent classification reporting to the Community and Economic Development Director. The incumbent serves as the division manager of the City’s economic development programs coordinating all economic development activities with the City Council and City Manager.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, strategic, results-oriented manager with a participative management style, who is capable of influencing positive outcomes in a fast-paced environment. The Economic Development
Manager needs to have:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and outstanding interpersonal skills
- The ability to work in partnership with businesses and business organizations to help build and maintain a strong economic and employment base in the city
- Knowledge and principles, practices, procedures, techniques, laws and regulations pertaining to economic development, including methods for business attraction and retention, redevelopment, tourism, and real estate.
- Plan, organize and direct the implementation of the City’s comprehensive Economic Development.
- Coordinate with the City Manager, and other departments and divisions of the City to develop and implement all economic development related activities.
- Manage economic development activities to secure a strong City revenue base by promoting business growth, attraction and retention through implementation and coordination of strategies and tactics focused on encouraging a healthy and stable business environment; and to perform related duties, including redevelopment, tourism, and real estate duties as assigned.
- May plan, organize, coordinate, and participate in the implementation of activities related to the City’s redevelopment.
- Coordinate City departments and facilitate project processing and permitting for Economic Development projects and issues relating to redevelopment, tourism, and real estate.
- Provide information and assistance to those who contact the Economic Development Division for permit assistance.
- Provide staff support to the City Council and other boards, committees and commissions established to address economic development, redevelopment, tourism, and real estate issues.
- Establish and maintain communication and cooperative relationships with business leaders, potential developers, organizations, private and public agencies, educational institutions, business and community groups, and the general public to promote and facilitate the implementation and execution of the City’s Economic Development Program; meet with a variety of individuals and groups to provide information, enlist support, resolve issues, plan, coordinate and promote economic development programs and activities.
- Serve as the liaison for the Economic Development Division to other divisions, departments, and outside agencies; act as liaison between business organizations, individual businesses, and the City; provide information and resources including interpretations of codes and ordinances; coordinate parallel efforts; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Perform a full range of business retention and attraction duties; visit businesses; provide site location, market research, and related information.
- Perform a full range of marketing and public relation activities; perform research of economic information and provide market data; create and distribute marketing materials; prepare and present information at meetings of various organizations, groups, and clubs; oversee and provide information and direction regarding the Economic Development Division’s web page; produce and write for the economic development newsletter; and provide articles for other organization’s newsletters.
- Conduct special studies and prepare comprehensive reports related to economic development, redevelopment, tourism, and real estate activities.
- Develop goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the Economic Development Division.
- Prepare, administer and monitor the budget for assigned programs.
- Supervise, train and evaluate staff, as required.
- Administer Economic Development contracts, as necessary.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles, practices, procedures, techniques, laws and regulations pertaining to economic development, including methods for business attraction and retention, redevelopment, tourism, and real estate.
- Relevant codes, policies and procedures pertaining to municipal building, and finance.
- Organizational, management, supervisory principles and practices.
- Effective public, business and community relations techniques.
- Marketing and promotional techniques used in economic development, redevelopment, tourism and real estate areas.
- Economic incentive and financing methods.
- Plan, develop, manage, coordinate and promote the activities of all economic development program.
- Interpret, apply and explain applicable municipal laws, codes, policies, and regulations.
- Evaluate City policies and procedures which affect the business and development community and, where appropriate, identify, recommend and implement policy changes.
- Coordinate economic development activities with other City departments, divisions and outside agencies.
- Work confidently with discretion.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; present ideas and concepts persuasively in speaking before groups or writing for publication.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with City officials, employees, representatives from other agencies and the public.
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the field of business or public administration, urban planning, or a closely related field; and a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in economic development, business development, community development or redevelopment. An advanced degree in a related field is desirable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply for this position and obtain additional information by visiting the City of Carlsbad website: www.carlsbadca.gov
- Click on “City jobs”
- Select “Job Opportunities”
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please submit an electronic online city application. The city does not accept paper applications or resumes in lieu of electronic applications.