San Diego – California
HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX), a California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking one or more Environmental Planner staff for its La Mesa headquarters office. HELIX offers environmental, biological, cultural resources, acoustical, air quality, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Our Environmental Planning Group prepares CEQA/NEPA documentation for a wide range of projects including highways, rail, airports, energy/utilities and water/wastewater facilities, planned communities, commercial/industrial development, educational facilities, and military facilities.
The Environmental Planner position involves research and preparation of multi-disciplinary environmental documents in compliance with CEQA and/or NEPA, working as a member of a multi-disciplinary team. In addition, the position will support HELIX’s senior noise, air quality/greenhouse gas and agriculture specialists in the preparation of technical studies. Training will be provided. The Environmental Planner position is therefore best suited for an entry-level/early-career candidate with a positive attitude and strong research, writing, mathematical/scientific, analytical and verbal communication skills. Writing will comprise a major part of the responsibilities of the position. This individual must have the ability to coordinate effectively with multiple planning project managers, and to prioritize and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines. Attention to detail, including strong spelling, proofreading, and organizational skills, is required. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude and experience working in a team-oriented environment. A test of practical skills will be required of final candidates.
Please note that this is not a laboratory, environmental testing or hazardous materials studies/management position. Knowledge of the southern California environmental and regulatory setting is desired.
Please submit a cover letter in addition to your resume.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental science, geography, natural science, environmental engineering, public planning, or a related field, or such a degree anticipated no later than June 2016.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Strong research, mathematical/scientific, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of the southern California environmental and regulatory setting; related environmental/planning education within that setting, with an emphasis on San Diego County.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Additional qualifications considered a plus:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental science, geography, natural science, environmental engineering, public planning, business, or a related field.
- Related work experience in environmental planning or public planning and/or experience in the research and writing of CEQA and/or NEPA environmental documents, such as EIRs, EISs, Initial Studies, and MNDs, or supporting technical studies/analyses of economic/fiscal, noise, air quality, agriculture, water quality, geology, visual or community impacts.
- Related coursework associated with the principles of ecology, land use planning, noise, air quality, visual assessment and related topics (provide most recent cumulative GPA).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project.
- Skills in the preparation of visual simulations.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons to apply.
Qualified candidates must apply through CareerBuilder.com: