San Diego – California
HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking one or more Project Managers to supplement the high-quality consultant team in our La Mesa, California, headquarters office. HELIX offers environmental, biological, cultural resources, acoustical, air quality, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Our Environmental Planning Group prepares CEQA/NEPA documentation and related studies for a wide range of projects including highways, rail, airports, energy/utilities and water/wastewater facilities, residential developments and planned communities, various community and infrastructure plans, commercial/industrial development, educational facilities, and military facilities.
The successful applicant(s) will be responsible for managing CEQA/NEPA compliance documents and related technical studies for small to medium projects, as well as assisting Senior Project Managers on larger projects. Duties include document preparation; coordination with other environmental planning staff, in-house technical specialists and subconsultants, as well as interaction with clients and reviewing agencies. Proposal preparation and business development are also required; it is anticipated that some training may be required, but the basic communication skills and interest for these activities are needed.
The Project Manager position requires an individual with a minimum of 4 years experience in the preparation of CEQA and/or NEPA compliance documents (not including technical studies), including at least 1 year of project management experience. Candidates must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and analytical abilities. Experience with a variety of infrastructure and development project types, CEQA and/or NEPA document types and private sector/public agency clients is desirable. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude and experience working in a team-oriented environment. Please note that this is not a laboratory, environmental testing or hazardous materials studies/management position. Knowledge of the southern California environmental and regulatory setting is desired.
Why work for HELIX? We are an employee-owned firm, hard-working with a casual and collaborative work environment. Our employees describe us as Client-focused, Caring, Team-oriented, Focused on Integrity, and Flexible. In addition to our competitive benefit package, we have robust, award-winning wellness and community volunteer programs, monthly happy hours, company-sponsored parties, an on-site employee-managed garden, and much more! We are excited to meet you!
Please submit a cover letter in addition to your resume.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental science, geography, natural science, environmental engineering, public planning, or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years experience in the preparation of CEQA and/or NEPA compliance documents, including at least 1 year of experience in the management of CEQA and/or NEPA compliance projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Knowledge of the southern California environmental and regulatory setting; with an emphasis on San Diego County.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Master’s or PhD degree (or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental science, geography, natural science, environmental engineering, public planning, business, or a related field.
•Experience in proposal preparation and marketing of consulting services.
- Educational background or experience in a specialty area (e.g., noise/acoustics, air quality, visual simulations, agriculture or water quality) and an interest in developing/providing consulting skills or training of other HELIX staff in that area, in addition to the provision of CEQA/NEPA generalist services.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons to apply.