Annual Awards Event
May 14, 2014 @ 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join 199 others at our annual awards event at the new Central Library in downtown San Diego!
Co-sponsored by the City of San Diego Department of Planning, Neighborhoods & Economic Development
Online Registration is open: click here to register!
The event timeline for the evening is as follows:
4:00 – 5:30 pm Library Planning & Design Tour or Library Arts Tour
Check-in for tours in the library courtyard. Tours will depart promptly at 4:15 p.m.
5:30 – 7:00 pm Doors Open/Food & Beverage/Silent Auction & Raffle Open
7:00 – 9:00 pm Awards Presentation
Welcome by Deborah Barrow, Library Department Director
We are pleased to offer two tours prior to the Awards Event. Each participant, including comped registrations, will be charged $10 for either tour and the money collected will be donated to the Library Foundation to be put toward a special air vent cover in the Rare Books Room as suggested by Architect Rob Quigley.
Central Library Planning & Design Tour led by THE architect: Rob Wellington Quigley
[1.5 CM] [limited to 30 participants] SOLD OUT
With the Central Library standing as the newest icon of Downtown San Diego, this is the perfect time to come hear about, first hand – from internationally-known local architect Rob Wellington Quigley, FAIA – the planning and architectural steps involved to bring this project to fruition. Tour topics will include: the siting of the library, the fit in the neighborhood, public interest and/or pushback, the library as a gathering place, building issues and energy features, the multiple uses in the building, financial issues, political support, architectural issues, and the construction process. This $185 million building, which took three years to build and was completed last September, includes an outdoor garden courtyard/café, a 350-seat auditorium, a Teen Center, a Children’s Room, a Technology Center, and the co-location of a charter high school on the 6th and 7th stories, with a capacity for approximately 500 students. Come see this magnificent new feature in our very own San Diego!
“The Dome stands as an icon, a symbol of this City’s commitment to literacy and community. Like the human spirits nurtured within, it is designed to be in a perpetual act of becoming.” – Architect, Rob Wellington Quigley, FAIA
Library Arts Tour led by Dana Springs, Public Art Program Manager for the City of San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture
[no CM for this tour] [limited to 20 participants]
Tour begins promptly @ 4:15pm. Meet in the first floor Courtyard.
Led by Dana Springs, Public Art Program Manager for the City of San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture
Have you seen the John Nolen painting hanging in the Central Library? No, then take an arts tour before the Awards Ceremony. All nine floors of the new Central Library have art on the walls, and occasionally on the floor. Commissioned works, large and small, have been smoothly integrated into its interior. The tour will visit the Art Gallery on the ninth floor – where our Awards Event is taking place. The Gallery contains paintings, photograph and sculpture of renowned and local artists. But there is much to see beyond the Gallery! The central elevator bay contains a large-scale permanent work of cut- and blown-glass. The eighth floor reading area is home to a unique and festive ‘recycling’ project. The auditorium is home to a wonderful mural so appropriate to the Library setting. Pieces throughout the Library were acquired via donations and the City of San Diego’s Public Art Program. You can view these installations on your own, but this is the time to take advantage of the knowledge of Dana Springs, the longtime public art program manager of the City’s Commission for Arts and Culture and its current interim executive director.
Please consider supporting the Awards Event and Celebrate the Students!
- Sponsorships are currently being sought for support of the Awards event. Complimentary event tickets, advertising during the Awards program and on the SDAPA website come with your sponsorship. Sponsorship Flyer. Contact Gary Halbert AICP at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support our local college students by donating a raffle or auction item or buying raffle tickets! This is the third year of our new program that provides San Diego Section Scholarship Awards to UCSD and SDSU students in planning-related program. All proceeds from the raffle and auction go directly to the Section’s scholarship fund and are awarded to students at the following year’s Awards Event. Contact Susan Baldwin at email@example.com
Getting to the Central Library
The Central Library is located at 330 Park Boulevard.
- The Central Library is located midway between 12th & Imperial Transit Center to the south and Park & Market Trolley Station to the north. There are also many buses that stop near the Library.
- We encourage you to come by transit or carpool!
- We chose an evening when there is no San Diego Padres game to minimize parking conflicts. Please refer to the library’s website which provides an array of parking options for your consideration: http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/centralparking.shtml
- Please note that there is underground parking at the Central Library. Coupons for $5 parking will be available at the registration table. Bring cash for the parking garage cashier.