Creating Great Cities: An Evening with Gil Penalosa
October 8, 2015 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm| $10
Join us for an engaging, funny and inspiring talk on city design by Gil Penalosa, Founder of the 8-80 Cities Organization. Their philosophy: If we design communities to benefit our youngest and oldest residents, we all benefit. The group focuses on creating places where people can walk, bike, access public transit and visit vibrant parks and public places.
Over the past 8 years, Gil has worked in over 180 different cities across six continents. As former Commissioner of Parks, Sport and Recreation for the City of Bogotá , Colombia, Gil was an integral part of the city’s much celebrated transformation of public space and sustainable mobility during the late 1990’s. Gil successfully led the design and development of over 200 parks including Simon Bolivar, a 113 hectare park in the heart of the city. Gil’s team also initiated the “new Ciclovia”– a program that sees over 1 million people walk, run, skate and bike along 121 kilometers of Bogotá ‘s city roads every Sunday, and today is internationally recognized and emulated.
Gil’s presentation will be followed by a spirited panel discussion centered on the San Diego region’s efforts to reinvent its streets to achieve sustainable, balanced mobility and an inviting public realm. Audience participation is welcome. This event is open to everyone!
Kathleen Ferrier – Director of Advocacy, Circulate San Diego
- Bill Anderson, FAICP, Principal/Vice-President, AECOM, Planning, Design + Development
- Jonathan Segal, FAIA, President, Jonathan Segal Architecture & Development
- Glen Schmidt, FASLA, President, Schmidt Design Group
- Seth Torma, AICP, Senior Planning Manager, Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Dean Sidelinger, MD, MSEd, Child Health Medical Officer, County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency
- Jeff Barfield, AICP, Planning Manager, Michael Baker International, Board Member of Circulate San Diego
Event Hosts for Archtoberfest 2015:
AIA San Diego and APA San Diego
City of San Diego Development Services Department, County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency, WTS San Diego, ASLA San Diego, ITE San Diego, Circulate San Diego, Parsons Brinckerhoff, M.W. Steele Group
2.0 CM credits Download Flyer