Communications Skills for Planners
February 7, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm| $50 – $110
CM Credits Pending
One of the top success factors in planners’ effectiveness in advancing important policies and projects is communications skills — writing, public speaking, and project team collaboration. In fact, when the SDAPA Board polled members on priorities for training, communications skills topped the list!
This full-day professional development opportunity brings together some of the region’s best experts in communication skills. For newer professionals, the training will provide some essential building blocks, and the more seasoned professionals will appreciate the training as a skills refresher. Many of the sessions incorporate hands-on activities. Joan Isaacson, Principal and Senior Facilitator at Kearns & West, and Leslie Keaveney, Senior Planner at the City of San Diego, will moderate the day, and the confirmed sessions include:
- Public Speaking Practicum, Moxie Institute
- Writing Skills Refresher, Karen Lafferty, Professional Consulting Editor, Lecturer in SDSU School of Teacher Education, and Former Honors High School English Teacher
- Maintaining Purpose and Motivation in Communications, Linda Liebowitz, Co-CEO GloCo Leadership Consulting and Lecturer in USD School of Leadership and Education Science
- Media Communication Skills, Kristina Ray, Director of Communications and Engagement, City of Carlsbad
- Empathy as a Communication Tool, Joan Isaacson, Principal and Senior Facilitator, Kearns & West
- Productive Project Team Meetings, Natalia Clark Hentschel, Land Use Planner at County of San Diego and Community Engagement Specialist
- Proactive Team Communication, Leslie Keaveney, Senior Planner at City of San Diego
Questions? Contact Joan Isaacson at email@example.com.
P.S. Lunch and snacks will be served!