Job Title: Planner II/III
Job Location: Encinitas
The Planner II/III assigned to the Land Development Section of the Development Services Department and will focus on the Planning counter, customer inquiries and the processing of building and development permits.
- Communicates and confers with residents, architects, developers, and engineers regarding the City’s land use policies, development standards and processes at the front counter
- Provides information related to zoning, business license requests, alcoholic and beverage license applications, general plan compliance, and other related issues, both in person, via email and over the phone
- Reviews commercial industrial, and residential development proposals, plans, and applications for issuance of zoning clearances; identifies correction actions to be taken by owners, applicants and tenants.
- Recommends improvement and rehabilitation programs
- Processes permit applications and calculates appropriate fees
- Reviews applications and submitted plans for various building permits, which may include: swimming pools, room additions, walls and fences, demolished properties, new developments, and/or other related structures
- Schedules intake appointment for coastal development permits, administrative/discretionary applications, plan submittal, and other related information
- Participates in a variety of staff and development review meetings to discuss projects with peers and staff
- Provides interpretive assistance to staff on development standards, project proposals, and/or clarification of policies
- Inputs and manages a variety of planning information into databases
- Queries data and develops related reports
- Conducts research and analysis related to land use, legislative activities, social, economic, and population data on various local and regional planning issues and community matters for dissemination internally, to elected and/or appointed officials, Councils, Commissions, and to the general public
- Researches, collects, records, analyzes, interprets, and summarizes statistical and demographic information for regional and City data
- Creates related informational and advisory reports, presentations, maps, logs, and computer and paper files; represents the department at status meetings
- Manages assigned planning projects of greater complexity and community significance or sensitivity
- Demonstrates ability to address and evaluate medium to complex issues/projects; works independently and exercises judgment and initiative
- Independently assists applicant/public on complex and sensitive matters
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
Knowledge of: customer service principles; modern office procedures, methods, and equipment; Municipal planning principals; research methods; mathematical concepts; basic CEQA principals; site planning and architectural design principles; principles and practices of urban planning and development; planning terminology, methods, materials, practices, and techniques; applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, ordinances, codes, rules, and regulations.
Skill in: prioritizing work and time; using computers and related software applications; providing customer service; reviewing and interpreting plans and details; managing projects; managing multiple priorities simultaneously; interpreting planning and zoning programs to the general public; performing mathematical calculations; using modern office equipment; reading and interpreting architectural and engineering drawings; reading maps and scales; conducting research; resolving conflict; analyzing and collecting data; creating and giving presentations; speaking in public; preparing reports and documents; preparing initial environmental studies; communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction. Training and Experience:
Training and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Planning, or a related field and a minimum of one year of progressively responsible technical experience working in Current Planning.
Link or email to apply: https://www.encinitasca.gov
Apply by date: 01/12/2020