San Diego – California
Planning Associate (San Diego, CA)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We plan, design, and implement infrastructure and programs that improve community and individual health, safety, mobility, and livability, such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, as well as outreach and education.
This role is responsible for supporting and nurturing practice areas within Alta and supporting efforts to build and develop client and partner relationships within those new or existing service markets. This role is also responsible for supporting the development of new business within his or her local market or region and growing Alta team members to become well rounded and technically proficient contributors to Alta’s success.
An understanding and knowledge of Alta, its culture and services, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Nurture and grow client and industry partner relationships and secure work in support of Alta’s growth goals.
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Identify, develop and grow service area specialties in support of Alta’s desired market expansion goals.
- Develop a reputation for being an in-house expert and thought-leader including developing white papers, case studies, marketing blogs and presentations to disseminate current research in his or her area of specialty.
- Mentor potentially large groups of staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES + TASKS
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes; may include presenting proposals to clients and negotiating the final deliverables and costs.
- Supporting the client, internal and external teams ensuring any risks to deliverable are property managed.
- Participating in the hiring process.
Absent a person responsible for directly managing a project this position may be responsible for:
- Identifying engagement goals and objectives, communicating desired outcomes, and advocating for the client and managing expectations.
- Creating and maintaining project schedules and communicating the status of project deliverables to clients in a timely and effective manner.
- Monitoring scope changes, securing necessary approval and implementing change orders.
- Administering the project including scheduling meetings, developing agendas, and project documentation, coordinating internal project meetings, ensuring timely delivery and managing resources.
- Contributing to Alta’s internal Professional Development programs by developing and presenting material.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining annual strategic plans (“SPROCKET” plans).
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Passion for active living and non-motorized transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning or a related field of study.
- Eight (8) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity participating in projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Demonstrated understanding of the planning process.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to capitalize on opportunities to enhance Alta’s position in the marketplace
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, presentation, and analytic skills
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, Adobe Creative Suite, ESRI Arc GIS, or similar products
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
PREFERRED SKILLS + CERTIFICATIONS
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning or a related field of study.
- Detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a Project Manager.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Experience using Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst.
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
- Ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- AICP Certification.
Reports to: Principal in charge of the planning discipline, region or office.
Manages: Will mentor planning discipline employees who are less senior in experience and who have an interest in becoming a Service Area Leader.
Associate Planner | Planning Associate | Service Area Leader | Service Leader
This job description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of an Associate – Service Area Leader. Additional duties or responsibilities may be assigned from time to time. Apply for this position via the link below. No phone calls, please.