Rancho Mirage – California
Under general supervision of the Planning Manager, or other staff as assigned, this entry level position performs a variety of assignments as part of the Planning team. Typical duties include working closely with the public on a regular basis to provide customer service on planning related policies and procedures, receiving and processing various applications and permits for approval that are typically routine and administrative in nature, providing a variety of technical tasks to assist professional Planners and other members of staff, and providing administrative and clerical support such as acting as recording secretary for boards and/or commissions, taking notes, filing, posting notices, etc. as needed.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
This class specification represents only the core areas of responsibilities; specific position assignment will vary depending on the needs of the department.
- Provides general Planning, Code and Building information to the public regarding the General Plan, zoning, application requirements, Planning procedures, current projects, etc. at reception counter, over the telephone and via email.
- Provides basic property information and interprets zoning ordinances.
- Distributes and accepts Development Permit applications, explains application requirements to the public and performs preliminary review of applications for completeness.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, maps, Planning regulations, etc. while assisting professional planners and/or responding to general inquiries.
- Accepts and processes ministerial Planning applications such as Temporary Use Permits, Sign Permits, Minor Modification Permits and other similar applications.
- May occasionally process discretionary Planning applications for consideration at the Planning Commission, such as: Single Family Permits, Minor Conditional Use Permits, Sign Programs and other similar applications.
- Reviews building plans for compliance with Planning regulations.
- Prepares rooms for Planning Division meetings.
- Prepares written reports and correspondence and maintains a variety of records and files.
- Updates and maintains statistical records, including, but not limited to, Land use and population trends, development activity, and assessor maps.
- Provides office support and assists with collecting, duplicating, distributing, sorting and/or filing correspondences, applications, and other materials; prepares mailings as needed.
- Prepares agendas and public hearing notices for Planning Commission meetings and other Commissions/Boards.
- Attends meetings of the Planning Commission and other Commissions/Boards; takes minutes and prepares the permanent record.
- Provides research and assistance with the department budget, including account and contract tracking.
- Coordinates and tracks Planning consultant assignments and Planner projects.
- Coordinates the formatting of staff reports, assembly of packets and distribution of same.
- Coordinates scheduling of appointments and meetings, prepares correspondence, and arranges travel and accommodations for conferences, seminars and meetings.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
The following generally describes the knowledge, ability, and education required to successfully perform the job duties.
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Completion of an associate’s degree in Planning, public administration, public policy, environmental studies, architecture, construction management, social sciences, or related field.
- Two years of experience in Planning, public administration, plans review, zoning administration, and/or building code issuance is desirable.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred and may substitute for the two years of desired experience.
For a detailed job announcement and application materials, please visit our website at www.RanchoMirageCA.gov. or contact the Human Resources Department (760) 324-4511, ext. 231 or at Rancho Mirage City Hall 69-825 Highway III, Rancho Mirage CA 92270, Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm.
An official City of Rancho Mirage Employment Application is required and incomplete, late or illegible application will be disqualified and will not be accepted.
The City of Rancho Mirage is an Equal Opportunity Employer