Job Title: Policy Manager
Job Location: San Diego
Employer Website: www.circulatesd.org
Position: Policy Manager
Hours: Full time, some evening and weekend work required
Supervisor: Executive Director
Salary Range: $65,000 – $80,000
Desired Start Date: August 2020
The Policy Manager for Circulate San Diego (Circulate) is a high-profile role in the San Diego policy and media environment. This position is perfect for a lateral jump into a nonprofit, or for an up-and-comer looking to take the next step in their career.
The position is responsible for advancing policy goals of a prominent local think tank, including through research, direct advocacy, and the press. This position supports the organization and the Executive Director with the development and implementation of policy campaigns related to transit, safe streets, and sustainable growth.
Our office culture is both collaborative and kind. Everyone is motivated by our mission, and a shared sense of purpose. In addition to the competitive salary, the organization also offers generous benefits including a 401(k), parental leave, and substantial sick time and vacation time.
1. Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to implement visions and strategies to support Circulate’s policy positions and advocacy.
2. Prepare written materials to communicate Circulate’s positions, including through letters, blogs, position papers, testimony, legislative proposals, and public comments.
3. Represent Circulate at public hearings, coalition meetings, and other high-profile and high-stakes discussions.
4. Serve as one of two organizational spokespersons with the press, write press releases, speak with media for on-the-record comments, and setup press conferences. Must be comfortable with on-camera interviews and public speaking.
5. Engage with and identify corporate and philanthropic funders, and write funding proposals.
6. Participate in an organizational culture of philanthropy, engaging with donors and the board, and identifying opportunities to highlight work with funders.
7. Manage grants and other funding sources for policy advocacy, tracking time, meeting deliverables, and writing progress reports.
8. Prepare well-researched policy reports to serve as anchors for advocacy campaigns.
9. Provide staff support and manage the Circulate Policy Committee and Vision Zero Committee.
10. Manage Circulate’s Mobility Certification program for smart growth projects.
11. Track policy initiatives and activities at the local and regional levels and provide analysis to guide Circulate’s position.
12. Foster collaborative working relationships and coalitions with organizations and individuals in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to advance Circulate’s advocacy objectives.
13. Provide technical assistance and training to local residents and community partners to garner grassroots support and participation in Circulate’s advocacy efforts.
14. Organize public education and advocacy events such as roundtables, information forums, trainings, and news conferences in support of research reports.
15. Represent Circulate in national, state and local events including panels, meetings, trainings and conferences.
16. Hire and manage volunteer interns to support policy work.
17. Perform related work as required falling within the general duties of the position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Competitive salary, $65,000 – $80,000, depending on experience
• Health and dental coverage
• 401(k) match of up to 7% employer contribution with 3% employee contribution
• 15 annual vacation days
• 10 paid holidays
• 13 annual sick days
• Paid parental leave
• Professional development fund
• Commuter benefits
• Flexible work schedule
• Graduate Degree (or comparable experience) in Policy, Planning, Law, or other relevant field
• Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Experience in local government, campaigns, or public policy
• Experience working with social media, supporter management systems, websites
• Existing relationships with the San Diego political community preferred
• Spanish fluency a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Circulate San Diego values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and any relevant work product examples to firstname.lastname@example.org, and with the subject line “Policy Manager.” No phone calls please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. This job description is subject to review and amendment in light of experience and in the annual employee review process.
Link or email to apply: http://www.circulatesd.org/workwithus
Apply by date: 08/14/2020