Rachel A. Hurst, AICP
My professional experience includes working in local government for 30 years, serving nine cities in Southern California. I currently serve as Director of Community Development, Redevelopment and Housing Services for the City of Coronado, administering the activities of the City’s Community Development Department and the City’s Successor Agency to the former Community Development Agency. In this capacity, I oversee the City’s Planning, Building and Code Compliance functions, as well as the City’s Historic Preservation, Redevelopment Dissolution and Affordable Housing programs. My previous positions include Director of Planning and Development Services for the City of La Mesa, City Planner of Simi Valley and Principal Planner at the City of San Diego.
My association with the American Planning Association, and membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners has been on-going for more than 30 years. I have participated in all types of section events and activities over the years, including as a volunteer tour guide and event planner for National APA conferences, and as a member of the State Chapter awards jury.
I earned a Master of Arts in Architecture and Urban Planning from the UCLA Graduate School of Architecture and Urban Planning and an undergraduate degree in liberal arts from Pomona College in Claremont, California. I also served as an instructor for five years in UCSD Extension’s Urban Planning & Development Certificate Program, teaching communications in urban planning and development and site analysis courses.
As Section Director I would focus on:
- Delivering activities and services that appeal to all segments of the Section membership, including students and young planners, emerging and seasoned professionals, as well as lifelong members.
- A commitment to the Section’s financial sustainability and fiscal responsibility through sound financial management practices and prudent use of membership funds.
- Working with the Section Board members on education and professional development training and activities that add value to Section membership.
- Providing training and activities that keep Section members informed and up to date on trends and issues affecting planning and planners in Southern California.
- Participating in State Chapter Board meetings and activities to strengthen the San Diego Section awareness of activities, issues and opportunities throughout the state.
- Preparation for hosting the California Chapter conference in 2018.
I look forward to serving the San Diego Section!