The application deadline for the San Diego Section of the American Planning Association (SDAPA) Mentorship Teams Program has been EXTENDED!!! If you are looking for a dynamic professional growth opportunity in planning, this program is for you!
In order to increase the reach of the program and provide opportunities for professional growth to planners at all experience levels. Mentorship teams are intended to foster a personalized experience in professional and knowledge base development for not only Protégés but Mentors as well!
Each Mentorship Team will be comprised of:
One (1) Senior level Planner; one (1) Associate or Assistant-level Planner; and 1-3 Student or emerging professional. A Mentorship Team strives for collaborative professional development and engaging discourse on varying planning topics.
The mission of the Mentorship Program is to foster professional development through an exchange of professional knowledge and expertise, networking, and guidance between experienced planners and young planning professionals.
Benefits to Protégés
- Gain a fresh perspective and additional experience
- Create valuable networking and recruiting opportunities
- Increase self-awareness of personal and professional capabilities
- Further professional and personal goals Enhance planning skills and improve performance
- Expand their understanding of the discipline
- Strengthen ties with the planning community and APA
Benefits to Mentors
- For emerging and mid-level planners, all of the Protégé benefits listed above
- Enhance coaching and mentoring skills
- Gain satisfaction in being able to contribute to someone else’s growth
- Gain new perspective on the field of planning
- Expand their network and professional contacts
- Planners of all disciplines and experience levels are encouraged to become mentors.
- Share your knowledge and talents with a new professional
- Play an inspiring role in the career of a young planner
- Protégés will be students and young professionals (0-1 yr of experience) in planning or planning-related fields.
- Mentors will be professionals (2+ yrs of experience)
- Mentorship teams will be matched based on preferred location, common interests, and career goals.
- Participants can correspond via phone, email or in person; it is recommend meeting once a month for the duration of the Program.
- Features of the program include:
- Mock interviews, resume building workshops, job shadows, and more
Four team meetings over the course of the program
Applications are attached and only take 5 minutes– APPLY NOW!!!
*If you were a participant in last year’s program and would like to participate in this year’s program, please submit a new application.
- Enrollment period for all participants: Please submit applications by JANUARY 31, 2013 Extended to February 8th
- Meet and Greet Orientation: February 21, 2013 (details TBD)
- Mentorship Program conclusion and final survey: Summer 2013
Thank you and we look forward to your participation in the SDAPA Mentorship Program!!