Job Title: Senior Planner
Job Location: Anaheim
Employer Website: www.anaheim.net
The City of Anaheim Planning and Building Department seeks a dynamic and professional Senior Planner to support the Current Planning section of the Planning Services Division. The primary duties of this position will be to manage complex development proposals for review and approval of the Planning Commission and/or City Council, provide lead supervision and technical assistance to planning staff, and support the Principal Planner with coordination of the interdepartmental project review process. This position may also represent the Planning Services Division at interdepartmental meetings, community meetings, and citywide neighborhood improvement programs.
Candidates must possess a minimum of three (3) years of responsible urban planning experience supplemented by a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, architecture, or a related field. Municipal planning agency experience is desired. A graduate degree and/or American Institute of Certified Planner (AICP) from the American Planning Association is also highly desired.
- Provide lead supervision and technical assistance to professional and technical planning staff; coordinate and assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures; provide staff training.
- Coordinate the revisions of policies and procedures; research, analyze and prepare recommendations to adopt ordinances; perform research regarding implementation of policies established by the general plan, zoning ordinance or other land use and development ordinances.
- Review proposed legislation; evaluate the effects of outside policies, regulations, and legislation on the City’s planning goals.
- Review development proposals and agreements; prepare requests for proposals, scopes of work, and agreements for professional services; oversee and monitor the work of consultants.
- Coordinate and provide project management for large and complex planning projects.
- Attend and represent the Planning Services Division at public meetings and interdepartmental meetings and serve on related committees as needed; respond to requests for information at public meetings; make presentations related to current and advanced planning; and provide technical planning information to elected and appointed City officials.
- Coordinate and serve as liaison between the business community and City staff with regard to current or advanced planning special projects; advise City staff, developers and the general public on planning policies, issues and concerns.
- Research and analyze requests for code amendments and special studies; prepare reports to the City Council and Planning Commission; coordinate the preparation and submittal of new ordinances.
- Confer with engineers, developers, architects, agencies representatives, realtors, and appraisers, and the general public in researching and coordinating planning and zoning matters; provide information regarding City development requirements and policies.
- Interpret and apply codes, laws and regulations to ensure development applications, City projects and municipal code amendments are in compliance; assist in the negotiation of development agreements.
- Respond to questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
- Develop and monitor Planning Services Division program budgets; submit justifications for development projects; monitor and control expenditures.
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals and objectives, policies and procedures for assigned area; establish schedules and methods for current and advanced planning projects.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the fields of current and advanced municipal and regional planning and zoning.
- Perform related duties as required.
Ability to: Lead, organize, and review the work of professional and technical staff; independently perform the most difficult planning projects; interpret, explain, and enforce department policies and procedures; analyze and compile complex technical and statistical information; manage and coordinate the work of consultants; assist in implementing goals, objectives and practices in providing effective and efficient program services; assist in the analysis, evaluation and modification of current and advanced planning methods and procedures; interpret and explain division policies and procedures; analyze site design, terrain constraints, circulation, land use compatibility, utilities and other urban services; participate in a variety of public and board meetings; make public presentations and recommendations on various advanced and/or current planning issues and concerns; interpret and explain City and program policies and procedures; effectively negotiate, implement, and administer contracts and agreements; work independently; make sound and supportable recommendations; analyze and assess community needs; assist in the preparation and administration of large and complex budgets; prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports; analyze and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures and techniques; develop creative approaches to, and concepts for, addressing planning problems; research, analyze and evaluate new zoning regulations and procedures; interpret, apply and ensure compliance with federal, state and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations; prepare clear, concise, thorough and accurate technical reports; work independently in the absence of supervision; understand and follow oral and written instructions; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.License/Certification Required: Possession of an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. The deadline for the first review of applications is on Monday, April 5, 2021 at 5:00PM. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applicants that apply after the first review are not guaranteed to be considered for this recruitment. This recruitment may close at any time without notice after the first review date.
The selection process will consist of a minimum of skills examination and oral interview.
Candidates must be specific and complete in describing their qualifications for this position. Failure to state all pertinent information may lead to elimination from consideration. Stating “See Resume” is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application.
Link or email to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/anaheim/jobs/3010952/senior-planner
Apply by date: 04/05/2021