Job Title: Senior Planner
Job Location: San Diego
Employer Website: www.sandiego.gov
The City of San Diego is recruiting Senior Planners!
The City’s Planning Department received several awards from the San Diego Chapter of the American Planning Association including Best Planning Agency. There are many exciting projects on the horizon in the areas of Housing, Community, Environmental, and Public Spaces Planning. Come join a fantastic team of professionals committed to making San Diego a world-class city.
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education (i.e., minimum completed units = 120 semester/180 quarter).
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education lacked on a year-for-year basis. One year of full-time experience = 30 semester/45 quarter college-level units.
EXPERIENCE: Three years of full-time professional-level planning experience. Qualifying professional-level experience must be in at least ONE of the following areas:
- Prehistoric or historic archeology.
- Historic preservation.
- Environmental review or analysis.
- Resource management.
- Landscape planning or landscape architecture.
- Environmental, general and community planning.
- Transportation planning.
- Design, redevelopment and capital improvement projects.
- Zoning administration and enforcement.
- Architecture and urban design.
- Site planning.
- Discretionary permit review and processing.
- A Master’s Degree in Archeology, History, Urban Planning, Urban Studies or Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Economics, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Public Administration, Life Science (e.g., Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Botany), Environmental Studies, or a closely related field may be substituted for a MAXIMUM of one year of the required experience.
- City of San Diego employees using Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA) experience to qualify must submit written documentation signed by their appointing authority or payroll specialist, detailing the work performed, dates, and total number of qualifying OCA hours. OCA experience without the required documentation will NOT be considered.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver License may be required at the time of hire.
- Certified Planner Certification issued from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
- College-level course work in Archeology, History, Urban Planning, Urban Studies or Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Economics, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Public Administration, Life Science (e.g., Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Botany), Environmental Studies, or a closely related field.
- Conservation biology and/or Multiple Species Conservation Program (MSCP) experience.
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) or National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) environmental documentation and compliance experience.
- Watershed or environmental plans.
- American Society of Landscape Architects membership.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (MUST SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION):
- Proof of degree/transcripts, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
- For City of San Diego employees, proof of Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA), if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
Required documents should be attached electronically to your application. If you are unable to attach at the time of application submittal, you must submit them as soon as possible via fax: (619) 533-3337; or to the Employment Information Center: City of San Diego Personnel Department, 1200 Third Avenue – Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101. Include your name and the title of the position for which you are applying.
Link or email to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sandiego
Apply by date: 07/19/2021